TUCSON, Ariz., Sept. 3, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Navy cleared Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) to begin full-rate production on the AIM-9X® Sidewinder Block II infrared air-to-air missile. The program completed operational test and evaluation earlier this year and Raytheon is now approved to produce missiles at full factory capacity.
"We've proven the increased capabilities of the AIM-9X Block II, and are confident Raytheon can produce missiles at full rate," said U.S. Navy Program Manager Captain Jim Stoneman, PMA-259. "We look forward to getting them into the hands of our warfighters as quickly as possible."
The U.S. Navy and Air Force, along with several international partners who have purchased the AIM-9X Block II, are receiving Sidewinder deliveries.
"An updated electronics package gives the missile features significant enhancements, like the ability to lock on after launch using a new datalink that supports beyond-visual-range engagements," said Mike Jarrett, Raytheon Air Warfare Systems vice president. "Sidewinder remains the warfighter's weapon of choice for short-range air-to-air missiles."
- AIM-9X is a U.S. Navy-led, joint Navy and Air Force program, with program offices in Patuxent River, Md., and Tucson, Ariz.
- Raytheon has produced AIM-9X missiles for more than 14 years.
- AIM-9X entered operational service in 2003; international deliveries began in 2005.
- Block II development began in 2011 and completed operational test and evaluation in early 2015.
- The U.S. Navy declared initial operational capability of Block II in March 2015.
- Block II will be the baseline effector for the U.S. Army Indirect Fires Protection Capability Increment 2, Block 1 making AIM-9X a true dual use missile, effective in either air-to-air or surface-to-air applications with no modifications required to the missile.
- AIM-9X currently has 18 international customers, nine original Block I customers followed by nine new and five repeat Block II customers.
- AIM-9X reliability for the currently fielded system has reached three and one half times the required mean time between failures.
Raytheon Company, with 2014 sales of $23 billion and 61,000 employees worldwide, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, civil government and cybersecurity markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning 93 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as cybersecurity and a broad range of mission support services. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass. For more about Raytheon, visit www.raytheon.com and follow us on Twitter @raytheon.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/us-navy-approves-full-rate-production-for-raytheon-aim-9x-block-ii-300137177.html
SOURCE Raytheon Company